About Me

My photo
Knoxville, Tennessee, United States
Hello. Thanks for stopping by. If you care to read about what's crossing my mind or sticking in my heart I welcome you to my latest post. So, I hope you enjoy my ramblings. More importantly, I hope I can encourage you to join me in my quest to be a faithful follower of my Lord Jesus Christ.

Monday, June 25, 2007

What the tin man knew

Most of us remember the words of the tin man. He lamented the loss of his heart. In the real world losing heart is not the result of the enchanting spell of wicked witch. Typically, it is our own doing. It happens slowly and we don't want to admit it. Two of my favorite leadership authors say it so well...No one looks in the mirror and sees a cynical, arrogant, and callous self-image. We dress up these defenses, give them principled and virtuous names. Cynicism is called realism, arrogance masquerades as authoritative knowledge, and callousness becomes the thick skin of wisdom and experience. (Leadership on the Line, Ron Heifetz and Marty Linsky). Heifetz and Linsky move beyond the diagnosis and provide some practical encouragement for recovering heart. Why not try it today? They suggest, the virtue of a sacred heart lies in the courage to maintain your innocence and wonder, your doubt and curiosity, and your compassion and love even through your darkest and most difficult moments.

No comments: