About Me

My photo
Knoxville, Tennessee, United States
Hello. Thanks for stopping by. If you care to read about what's crossing my mind or sticking in my heart I welcome you to my latest post. So, I hope you enjoy my ramblings. More importantly, I hope I can encourage you to join me in my quest to be a faithful follower of my Lord Jesus Christ.

Tuesday, June 12, 2007

Sabbath

What is Sabbath? Biblically, it is mainly a day, once a week, when we "do no work". It was also a year once every seven years when God's covenant people did not sow seed, prune vines or store up harvest (Leviticus 25:4-7). Even though Jesus taught that the Sabbath was made for us (Mark 2:27) our hearts rebel against it. Our rebellion is much deeper than a failure to take a day off. It is our failure to "rest" in God. We find it difficult to trust God. It's no surprise that God anticipated our struggle. In regard to taking a year off from the harvest God knew that people would ask "How are we going to eat in the seventh year?" God's reply is especially beneficial in our performance oriented world. God said, "I will order my blessing for you in the sixth year, so that it will yield a crop for three years". When we rest in God there are blessings that are far greater than a triple crop year. Dallas Willard suggests that the Sabbath principle should invade our lives daily. In a practical sense Willard says the Sabbath is "casting all your anxiety on Him" to find out that "He cares for you" (1 Peter 5:7).

No comments: