About Me

My photo
Knoxville, Tennessee, United States
Hello. Thanks for stopping by. If you care to read about what's crossing my mind or sticking in my heart I welcome you to my latest post. So, I hope you enjoy my ramblings. More importantly, I hope I can encourage you to join me in my quest to be a faithful follower of my Lord Jesus Christ.

Tuesday, June 19, 2007

Potential

After the successful season for the Tennessee men's basketball team last year, expectations are high. For the first time I can remember, sports radio show hosts are talking about basketball in the summer. Usually the topic of conversation is all about player "potential". Potential is a slippery word. There are so many variables that come into play. At this point we hear a lot about athleticism and talent. But along with those qualities other questions are raised. What about academic eligibility? How will the player develop? Will they apply themselves in practice? How will they fit with the team? As I listen to this discussion, I can't help but think about our "potential" as followers of Jesus. What if we had this discussion about our development? Would we be ruled ineligible due to a failure to show up for class? (God holds class everyday - we are supposed to be listening and learning). Would we be dismissed from the team because we didn't practice? (How's your prayer life? Is your bible dusty?) How do we rate as team players? (How would other Christians rate you as a team member?)

No comments: