About Me

My photo
Knoxville, Tennessee, United States
Hello. Thanks for stopping by. If you care to read about what's crossing my mind or sticking in my heart I welcome you to my latest post. So, I hope you enjoy my ramblings. More importantly, I hope I can encourage you to join me in my quest to be a faithful follower of my Lord Jesus Christ.

Friday, June 22, 2007

Buried Treasure - part two

I've been thinking some more about the comments of Jesus: "Where your treasure is, there your heart will be also". There are two dangers for to guard against. The one, that I mentioned earlier, has to do with a tendency to invest our hearts in things that are in the "here and now" as opposed to things that really matter from an eternal perspective. We live in a materialistic world that pulls at our hearts on a daily basis. It serves to distract us from cultivating a heart that God can use for His purposes. The second danger pops up from the other extreme. It is a tendency to view the Kingdom of God from a "somewhere out there" perspective as if God's kingdom is a buried treasure that can only be accessed after we die. When that happens we view life as though we are making deposits in heaven during this life and will reap those rewards only when we arrive in heaven. While this protects us from materialism, it also insulates us from the material world around us. When our hearts belong to God we have the ability to share what it means to live under the reign and lordship of God.

No comments: