About Me

My photo
Knoxville, Tennessee, United States
Hello. Thanks for stopping by. If you care to read about what's crossing my mind or sticking in my heart I welcome you to my latest post. So, I hope you enjoy my ramblings. More importantly, I hope I can encourage you to join me in my quest to be a faithful follower of my Lord Jesus Christ.

Friday, June 15, 2007

Father's Day is Coming

I remember the Father's Day practices of days gone by. Every year in the church of my childhood we would honor the oldest Father. One year the competition was heated. Two "senior dads" were pretty close in age. When it was time for the decision, one of them announced that fact that he was "86 and 1/2 years old". Usually it is a child that adds the "1/2" to their age. After all there's a big difference between an 8 1/2 year old and an 8 year old. But at 86 and 1/2 years he was just as proud of his age as a kid. After his announcement the oldest father made his way up front and received his ugly neck tie and responded to the applause of the congregation. Now that I have been a father for 10 years I have noticed that each year seems shorter and at the same time more significant. Time passes so quickly and the need for me to be a godly role model for Nicholas intensifies. There is no greater leadership challenge in my life than to be the father that God wants me to be. The words of Paul the Apostle describe the challenge: "follow me as I follow Christ".

No comments: