About Me

My photo
Knoxville, Tennessee, United States
Hello. Thanks for stopping by. If you care to read about what's crossing my mind or sticking in my heart I welcome you to my latest post. So, I hope you enjoy my ramblings. More importantly, I hope I can encourage you to join me in my quest to be a faithful follower of my Lord Jesus Christ.

Wednesday, August 29, 2007

Silence brings blessings

"Listen to the voice of God in silence. Be willing to accept what he wants to show you." Fenelon (1651-1715) Silence seems nearly impossible in our culture. We hate silence. Apple has sold over 100 million ipods. That doesn't include all of the other portable players, computers and cell phones with media download capability. It is an indication that we are rapidly becoming frightened by silence.We rarely give our undivided attention to anyone or anything. Of course, that includes God. That's a bad habit. Can we pray without music? How many messages from God have I missed because the music (noise of life) was too loud?

3 comments:

Brandi said...

I love dropping by here. It always gives me something real to think about in the midst of a false world, and something to talk to GOD about when we're alone together. Sometimes it's something new that I hadn't thought to thank Him for ... ans sometimes it's something simple that I hadn't thought to ask Him for. Either way, thanks for posting.

Paul Metler, Ph.D. said...

Great choice of words Brandi in terms of what is "false" and what is real. It's a great reminder. I think that sometimes we are tempted to think what we see is more real than a God that we cannot see. That is so far from true. Have a great day!

Brandi said...

You're right. Too often we rely on our eyes to tell us the truth, instead of the heart. For me, it's where Jesus lies, and all truth lies there with him. Like He said, "If your right eye causes you to sin ..." Obviously, our vision is not the signal for truth, and what you see isn't always what get is it?