About Me

My photo
Knoxville, Tennessee, United States
Hello. Thanks for stopping by. If you care to read about what's crossing my mind or sticking in my heart I welcome you to my latest post. So, I hope you enjoy my ramblings. More importantly, I hope I can encourage you to join me in my quest to be a faithful follower of my Lord Jesus Christ.

Thursday, August 2, 2007

bridge collapse

I watched the coverage of the bridge collapse last night. Every time I thought about it today I felt a heaviness in my heart. It's hard to imagine what it must feel like to those who have experienced such unexpected and tragic loss. Events like this remind me that we do not know when our lives will end. How many times had those commuters driven across the bridge without any thought of its structural soundness? We live in a world where complexity and uncertainty are growing. This should and can drive us to reach out and discover something or someone that is certain. Of course, I believe that Jesus provides that certainty. The author of the book of Hebrews in the Bible wrote to people who were facing persecution and grave uncertainty. The author wrote that Jesus is the same "yesterday, today and forever". I pray that His comfort will be poured out upon the families of those affected in Minneapolis. I pray that the many brave people who have and continue to offer assistance in the care of those in need will overflow with genuine love and compassion.

No comments: