About Me

My photo
Knoxville, Tennessee, United States
Hello. Thanks for stopping by. If you care to read about what's crossing my mind or sticking in my heart I welcome you to my latest post. So, I hope you enjoy my ramblings. More importantly, I hope I can encourage you to join me in my quest to be a faithful follower of my Lord Jesus Christ.

Friday, August 24, 2007

Pain and Ministry

Today I was honored to share some scripture at a graveside service. Bill, the man who was buried has been battling cancer. I had the opportunity to meet with Bill just one week ago in the hospital. He was fighting a good fight despite the ravaging effects of the cancer on his body. It is overwhelming to attempt to minister to people who are suffering. No doubt you have asked the questions I have asked. What do I say? How can I help? I reflect often on the words of a wise professor in seminary when he shared that "we minister from our weakness, never our strength". The Bible helps us understand the irony of his statement. It is in our weakness that the Lord delivers strength. It is in our inadequacy that the Lord delivers sufficiency. It is when we are not enough that God's grace shines. And sometimes it is the pain in our hearts that opens the door to God's greatest healing.

No comments: