About Me

My photo
Knoxville, Tennessee, United States
Hello. Thanks for stopping by. If you care to read about what's crossing my mind or sticking in my heart I welcome you to my latest post. So, I hope you enjoy my ramblings. More importantly, I hope I can encourage you to join me in my quest to be a faithful follower of my Lord Jesus Christ.

Wednesday, August 8, 2007

Home Run King

Last night Barry Bonds hit home run no. 756 surpassing Hank Aaron's record. The Barry Bonds steroid-scandal-media-saga has cast a heavy shadow on the home run record. I didn't watch the game last night, but I tuned in for the coverage this morning. More than once my attention focused on two words that the media repeated: "now what?". Commentators ask the question. Bonds has set a record. Now what? Put the scandal aside for a moment. Put baseball aside and recognize what an accurate commentary these two words offer to our culture. We are a "now what" culture. What's next? Our focus, our attention and often our commitments do not linger for long. Although our problems with these issues are exaggerated today, it is not a new issue. After Jesus miraculously fed thousands of people with a boy's lunch they chased after him and asked "now what?" (John 6:30). His reply pointed them toward something deeper than the latest miracle. He urged them to "believe". He urged them to consider a relationship that reached past their bellies to their hearts. Many of them chose to walk away and continue their "now what" way of life.

No comments: