About Me

My photo
Knoxville, Tennessee, United States
Hello. Thanks for stopping by. If you care to read about what's crossing my mind or sticking in my heart I welcome you to my latest post. So, I hope you enjoy my ramblings. More importantly, I hope I can encourage you to join me in my quest to be a faithful follower of my Lord Jesus Christ.

Tuesday, August 21, 2007

A journey with Fenelon

I love to read from followers of Jesus who lived in a different time. Whether ancient or not so ancient, it amazes me how much we have in common in our daily temptations. While it is true that the particulars of our external temptations have changed, the battle for the condition of our heart has changed very little if any. Recently, I have rediscovered some of the writings of Fenelon, a French bishop (1651-1715). Fred Smith, a leadership mentor recently died. He wrote about seven themes from Fenelon's writings. I plan to blog about the themes. Meanwhile, here's a quote to think about: "selfishly loving yourself shunts the spirit. You put yourself in a straitjacket when you are enclosed in self. When you come out of that prison you experience how immense God is and how he sets his children free. Be humble. Do not trust the old nature."

No comments: