About Me

My photo
Knoxville, Tennessee, United States
Hello. Thanks for stopping by. If you care to read about what's crossing my mind or sticking in my heart I welcome you to my latest post. So, I hope you enjoy my ramblings. More importantly, I hope I can encourage you to join me in my quest to be a faithful follower of my Lord Jesus Christ.

Wednesday, August 22, 2007

Self-love is subtle

It's not really difficult to conclude that we have issues with selfishness in our culture. From yesterday's quote from Fenelon it is easy to see that he was wary of the pitfalls of a self-love that goes unchecked. Fenelon prescribes that we must root out self-love so that God's love can "reign in us without opposition". What does that look like? Does God's love reign in my life? We are forced to ask ourselves, "How would God love the people in my life?" The measuring stick that Jesus gave us is clear. Just hours before he was crucified, Jesus gave a "new commandment" to His disciples. He told them to "love one another as I have loved you" (John 13:34).

No comments: