About Me

My photo
Knoxville, Tennessee, United States
Hello. Thanks for stopping by. If you care to read about what's crossing my mind or sticking in my heart I welcome you to my latest post. So, I hope you enjoy my ramblings. More importantly, I hope I can encourage you to join me in my quest to be a faithful follower of my Lord Jesus Christ.

Saturday, August 4, 2007

Narrow Way

Jesus said, "Enter by the narrow gate; for wide is the gate and broad is the way that leads to destruction, and there are many who go in by it. Because narrow is the gate and difficult is the way which leads to life, and there are few who find it." (Matthew 7:13-14)

I'm going to talk about the "narrow way" tomorrow. On the one hand, this is a teaching of Jesus that is a lightning rod in our age of intolerant tolerance. We are immersed in a culture where absolutes do not exist except the absolute truth that there are no absolutes. By the way, truth does not exist except for the truth that there is no truth. And it's absurd to think that Jesus could declare that the way to life is narrow when any old way will do. Like I said, it's a lightning rod. On the other hand, it is a simple teaching that resonates with the collective "heart cry" of our age. We cry for focus. Jesus said stick with the path that leads to life. We cry for a way to reduce distraction. Jesus contrasts an intentional life with one that is broad and indiscreet. Our infatuation with "self-help" reveals our deep craving for personal development. Jesus describes a "way" that implies progress and leads to our ultimate goal. One thing is for sure, Jesus didn't mind being a lightning rod, but his primary goal was being the way, the truth and the life.

No comments: