About Me

My photo
Knoxville, Tennessee, United States
Hello. Thanks for stopping by. If you care to read about what's crossing my mind or sticking in my heart I welcome you to my latest post. So, I hope you enjoy my ramblings. More importantly, I hope I can encourage you to join me in my quest to be a faithful follower of my Lord Jesus Christ.

Saturday, September 1, 2007

Selfish Eyesight

I had a great trip with my father and Nicholas this weekend. We went to a Cincinnati Bengals and Baltimore Colts preseason football game yesterday. It is an annual trip for the "boys" to go to a ballgame. As we sat in the stadium with 60,000 Bengals fans, Nicholas proudly wore his Peyton Manning jersey and Colts hat. (I suppose peer pressure will not be a big worry in our house) Anyway there was one play where one of the Bengals fumbled the ball and the Colts recovered. The officials reviewed the play to determine whether it was really a fumble. Meanwhile all of the Bengals fans including those in the middle and upper decks were absolutely sure it was not a fumble. Despite the fact that the football appeared about the size of a pea from their vantage point and the replay on the jumbo screen did not show a camera angle where the fumble was visible, they were sure that they could see every detail better than the officials that were two feet away. Why? Because they were selfishly pulling for their team. It dawned on me that our own selfishness affects everything we see. I started to point out this great theological truth to the Bengals fans - but I guess I am more subject to peer pressure than Nicholas. Unashamedly, he cheered for the Colts when the call went their way.

No comments: