About Me

My photo
Knoxville, Tennessee, United States
Hello. Thanks for stopping by. If you care to read about what's crossing my mind or sticking in my heart I welcome you to my latest post. So, I hope you enjoy my ramblings. More importantly, I hope I can encourage you to join me in my quest to be a faithful follower of my Lord Jesus Christ.

Wednesday, September 19, 2007

Keeping a Safe Distance

According to some who have ridden with me in my car there have been occasions when I have not maintained a safe distance between my car and the car in front of me. Despite my pleading about my exceptional reaction time and superb driving skills - it's best to keep a safe distance to allow for sudden and unexpected stops. This is wise. However the same principle does not apply to following Jesus. When we attempt to follow Jesus at a "safe distance", it is our way of trying to remain unchanged/untouched by who He is and the transformational power that comes from drawing near to Him. Following Jesus at a distance results in apathy and a loss of passion. The Bible teaches "Draw near to God and He will draw near to you" (James 4:8).

No comments: