About Me

My photo
Knoxville, Tennessee, United States
Hello. Thanks for stopping by. If you care to read about what's crossing my mind or sticking in my heart I welcome you to my latest post. So, I hope you enjoy my ramblings. More importantly, I hope I can encourage you to join me in my quest to be a faithful follower of my Lord Jesus Christ.

Saturday, September 29, 2007

An Invitation

I helped coach Nick's basketball team this morning. It was their first game. I enjoy watching basketball more than any sport he has played. There is always a lot of action and scoring. His team did well and Nick did very well. They won the game by a pretty good margin. As I watched the boys come in and out of the game, several players told me that they were tired. I couldn't help but smile a little and reflect on our practices. Few of them enjoyed running during practice. They did not see the sprints as an invitation to get better. Running seemed like a waste of time to them. They would rather shoot or scrimmage. Conditioning is no fun. God invites us everyday to engage in spiritual conditioning that will help us in the "game". He wants us to know Him better through prayer, meditation and careful study of His words. It's not always fun - but it prepares us for the game. Maybe God smiles a little when we get a little winded in life.

No comments: