About Me

My photo
Knoxville, Tennessee, United States
Hello. Thanks for stopping by. If you care to read about what's crossing my mind or sticking in my heart I welcome you to my latest post. So, I hope you enjoy my ramblings. More importantly, I hope I can encourage you to join me in my quest to be a faithful follower of my Lord Jesus Christ.

Saturday, September 8, 2007

Why Fast?

Recently, I asked the congregation at Heritage Fellowship to consider fasting during the month of September. What difference does it make to skip a meal? I'm not an expert, but I have noticed some things from my own experience. The pressure to let our own appetite(s) govern our lives is enormous. We are a hedonistic culture. A good definition of hedonism is the belief that the highest intrinsic good in life is pleasure. That pretty well sums up our world doesn't it. So, why would I want to give up food for a meal or a day if gives me pleasure (and it does). Because it is a way to break us free from "pleasure" dominated appetites and redirect us to an appetite for God. In my experience fasting elevates my "God consciousness". When I fast I think about God more and I am more sensitive to my need for God because I know there must be a reason that I'm not eating.

2 comments:

Brandi said...

Wow, I was just thinking about something like this today! And it's weird, I haven't been able to come to church in a while, so the idea of fasting just popped into my head, and then here it was. I do get to watch sometimes on tv though, and you never cease to amaze me, just as you never speak to the church without inspiring me to look within myself to see if I can still find Jesus.

It's good that he called you, you are an amazing pastor.

Paul Metler, Ph.D. said...

Jesus is still there. God is amazing - He finds so many ways to speak to us to remind us that He is still with us.