About Me

My photo
Knoxville, Tennessee, United States
Hello. Thanks for stopping by. If you care to read about what's crossing my mind or sticking in my heart I welcome you to my latest post. So, I hope you enjoy my ramblings. More importantly, I hope I can encourage you to join me in my quest to be a faithful follower of my Lord Jesus Christ.

Tuesday, September 25, 2007

Saints or Aints?


I watched a little of the Monday Night Football game last night. The Tennessee Titans played the New Orleans Saints. It was a year after the much celebrated win of the Saints at home. The game last year marked the reopening of the Super Dome after the devastating effects of Hurricane Katrina. Last year the level of emotion and support rivaled that of a championship game in the Super Bowl. And last year the Saints won. Not only did they win that game, but they went on to have the most successful year in Franchise history. Last night, there were many references to the "magical" season that is no more. The Titans pounded the Saints last night and the end result was another loss for the winless saints. Of course, I discovered a spiritual metaphor in the situation! What makes the difference in our lives from day to day? Do we live as Saints or Aints? The difference for the New Orleans Saints last year was clear. They were playing in a game that was bigger than football. They embraced their role in bringing hope to a city that was devastated. That makes the difference. If we are myopic in our role in God's kingdom - seeing our world with selfish and limited vision, we are destined to live as "Aints". When we embrace our responsibility to bring hope to the world and participate in God's big picture, we are mighty "Saints".

No comments: