About Me

My photo
Knoxville, Tennessee, United States
Hello. Thanks for stopping by. If you care to read about what's crossing my mind or sticking in my heart I welcome you to my latest post. So, I hope you enjoy my ramblings. More importantly, I hope I can encourage you to join me in my quest to be a faithful follower of my Lord Jesus Christ.

Wednesday, July 18, 2007

Mirror Mirror on the wall?

Everyone thinks of changing the world, but no one thinks of changing himself
Leo Tolstoy

Long before Daniel Goleman sold millions of books declaring that self-awareness increases emotional intelligence, Jesus was encouraging people to look in the mirror. In particular, Jesus pointed out that it is not wise to remove a "speck" from a neighbor's eye without first removing the "log" that is in our own (Matthew 7:4). In my experience developing self-awareness is similar to removing something from my eye. Although it begins with self-examination, it almost always requires help from others who are willing to be honest with me.

No comments: