About Me

My photo
Knoxville, Tennessee, United States
Hello. Thanks for stopping by. If you care to read about what's crossing my mind or sticking in my heart I welcome you to my latest post. So, I hope you enjoy my ramblings. More importantly, I hope I can encourage you to join me in my quest to be a faithful follower of my Lord Jesus Christ.

Monday, July 16, 2007

Letting Go

Anxiety is a hangover of bad habits established when we were trusting things that were certain to let us down.
Dallas Willard

I love the way Willard hits us with the damaging aspects of worry. Not only does he compare worry to a hangover, but he also lets us know that worrying is a bad habit. He identifies some of the things that we tend to trust: human approval and wealth just to name a couple. Notice that Willard is "certain" that these things will let us down. Human experience is on his side. Is there a secret to breaking old habits? There are many methods for breaking habits. But, one of my favorite methods is replacing the bad habit with a good habit. Instead of worrying, try prayer.

Don't worry about anything; instead, pray about everything. Tell God what you need, and thank him for all he has done. (Philippians 4:6)

No comments: