About Me

My photo
Knoxville, Tennessee, United States
Hello. Thanks for stopping by. If you care to read about what's crossing my mind or sticking in my heart I welcome you to my latest post. So, I hope you enjoy my ramblings. More importantly, I hope I can encourage you to join me in my quest to be a faithful follower of my Lord Jesus Christ.

Monday, May 14, 2007

This will help you as you get older

Don't you hate to hear those words. What does "as you get older" mean? To a teenager, it means your "20's" are somewhere in the distance. To a twenty-something it means that someday you will be a thirty-something. And to the rest of us, it means that we are already there. Forget that garbage about "50" being the new "30". To be honest with you, sometimes I feel like the only "new" I have discovered at 43 is new aches and pains. As I was hitting my Monday morning routine in the gym, I took a little extra time to stretch...I have heard that stretching will help me "as I get older". I have lost so much flexibility it's no wonder I love shoes that have no laces. How about you? How much flexibility have you lost? Stretching is good for our physical bodies. It is also good for us spiritually and intellectually. This morning I was reading in Acts 10. Luke gives an account of God teaching Peter that he should love people who are different. God poured out a blessing on Gentiles. The Jews who observed this blessing were amazed. In a word, they were stretched. It may be that we have been viewing certain people in in our world through an old lens. Why not invite God to stretch us this week?
It will help you as you get older.

1 comment:

Kim Williams said...

Wow! I love this. My Bible study this past week has been on this exact thing...accepting people who aren't like us, loving the unlovable and seeing people through God's eyes. Maybe God is trying to tell me something. Maybe I am in need of more stretching!