About Me

My photo
Knoxville, Tennessee, United States
Hello. Thanks for stopping by. If you care to read about what's crossing my mind or sticking in my heart I welcome you to my latest post. So, I hope you enjoy my ramblings. More importantly, I hope I can encourage you to join me in my quest to be a faithful follower of my Lord Jesus Christ.

Monday, May 28, 2007

Remember

Memorial Day. Is it about BBQ? Is it about yard work? Is it the unofficial start of summer? There's nothing wrong with any of those things (except yard work). But they miss the mark of Memorial Day. At some point during the day it's important to pause and remember. Pause to honor the veterans who have died serving. Pause to express gratitude. By my measure gratitude is one of the most important virtues. It is a mark of character that affects all others. Deuteronomy is one of my favorite Old Testament books. Over a dozen times Moses pleads with the tribes that were preparing to enter the land that God had promised. His pleading is not complicated. He charges them to remember. Sadly, I am convinced that he knew they would not. It seems to be our nature. When things get good we forget those who sacrificed to bring us the good. Remember and be grateful.

No comments: