About Me

My photo
Knoxville, Tennessee, United States
Hello. Thanks for stopping by. If you care to read about what's crossing my mind or sticking in my heart I welcome you to my latest post. So, I hope you enjoy my ramblings. More importantly, I hope I can encourage you to join me in my quest to be a faithful follower of my Lord Jesus Christ.

Saturday, May 26, 2007

Life according to Captain Jack Sparrow

In the latest Pirates of the Caribbean movie Captain Jack Sparrow has a crazy compass. It shows up at various times during the movie. Typically, the compass spins around in what appears to be an unpredictable manner. Finally, Sparrow explains the usefulness of the compass. The needle does not point north. It points toward what the holder "wants" the most. In the ebb and flow of the movie, the direction of the needle changes several times. Seems to me that this compass could be really useful. What if I had a visible indicator of what happens within my heart. How often do my desires change? What do I desire the most today? Obedience? Faithfulness? An authentic relationship with God? Wisdom? Knowledge? Power? Wealth? Comfort? We seldom pause to think that God's assessment is much more accurate than Jack Sparrow's compass. God's assessment of my heart is precise.

No comments: