About Me

My photo
Knoxville, Tennessee, United States
Hello. Thanks for stopping by. If you care to read about what's crossing my mind or sticking in my heart I welcome you to my latest post. So, I hope you enjoy my ramblings. More importantly, I hope I can encourage you to join me in my quest to be a faithful follower of my Lord Jesus Christ.

Monday, May 7, 2007

Conviction

We know too much and are convinced of too little. Our literature is a substitute for religion and so is our religion
T.S. Eliot
Lately I have been thinking about how my beliefs translate into life from day to day. I am convinced that our ability and desire to cultivate convictions is slipping away. In some strange way, it may have something to do with how much we think we know. Sometimes the more we know the more uncertainty we introduce in our lives and the less likely we are to refine our convictions. As a result, life gets a little fuzzy. I believe Eliot was bemoaning the loss of congruency between religion and conviction. It's not surprising. Nothing about conviction is easy. It's time consuming to determine what matters most. It requires contemplation. It requires us to look inside. Don't misundersand my appreciation for Eliot. I am not anti-literature. Nor am I anti-learning. My concern with the increase of "knowledge" has more to do with how we digest the knowledge. Without convictions knowledge just contributes to the noise in our lives. With the aid of convictions, knowledge can be refined into authenticity.

No comments: