About Me

My photo
Knoxville, Tennessee, United States
Hello. Thanks for stopping by. If you care to read about what's crossing my mind or sticking in my heart I welcome you to my latest post. So, I hope you enjoy my ramblings. More importantly, I hope I can encourage you to join me in my quest to be a faithful follower of my Lord Jesus Christ.

Tuesday, May 15, 2007

Are you a good listener

Blessed are the ears that are attuned to the soft whisper of God's voice and that ignore the buzzing of the world.
Thomas a Kempis (1380-1471)
Last night I was mowing the yard. Mowing's not so bad when you have an ipod. It allows me to enjoy some music while Iwork. That's a good thing. To be sure, we are a culture that is addicted to music. Now you can have "tunes to go" on about every type of electronic device imaginable. Even birthday cards will startle you with music as you open them. As I read the above quote from Kempis I can't help but be amazed that someone living in the 1400's would refer to the "buzzing" of the world. What was buzzing back then? No ipods. Not even an 8-track player. (If you don't understand ask your parents) It is a reminder that distractions come in many ways - but they have always been a plague to humanity. One thing I wonder. How many times has God whispered something that I never heard?

1 comment:

Kim Williams said...

Wow! I've wondered this many times. How often God speaks, and I am too busy to hear or even take it as coincidence when things happen, and He is trying to tell me something. What a great reminder to be still and listen. I loved this.