About Me

My photo
Knoxville, Tennessee, United States
Hello. Thanks for stopping by. If you care to read about what's crossing my mind or sticking in my heart I welcome you to my latest post. So, I hope you enjoy my ramblings. More importantly, I hope I can encourage you to join me in my quest to be a faithful follower of my Lord Jesus Christ.

Tuesday, May 1, 2007

So, where are you going?

I left you hanging with the last question. How should I (as a pilgrim sojourner) respond when I am asked about my destination? Before I answer let me say that I love it when writers have to admit that they are wrong. There is something eloquent about a sequel that disproves the prequel. I am referring to Richard Carlson's two books: "Don't sweat the small stuff...and it's all small stuff" followed by "What about the big stuff?". Believe it or not I recommend both books. Carlson comes around in the second book to discuss some things that really matter in life. One chapter in particular stands out. The title says it all: Reflect on what you're going to say - before you need to say it. In other words some things are worth working up a little sweat over. I happen to believe that we should work up a little sweat when it comes to our ability to tell people about our destination. Peter, the fisherman turned disciple told the early followers of Jesus that it is important to be prepared to talk about the reason we believe in Him. Where am I going? My answer does not have to be complicated, but it does require some preparation. My answer for now is that I am going home. In order for that to be a good answer it must ring true. Home is a place that it familiar. But my familiarity with my ultimate home has more to do with person than place. I am going to God not just a place. And if I am not at home in His presence now why would I believe that I will be later? The authenticity of my answer will depend on my relationship with God in the moment that I give my answer.

No comments: