About Me

My photo
Knoxville, Tennessee, United States
Hello. Thanks for stopping by. If you care to read about what's crossing my mind or sticking in my heart I welcome you to my latest post. So, I hope you enjoy my ramblings. More importantly, I hope I can encourage you to join me in my quest to be a faithful follower of my Lord Jesus Christ.

Tuesday, April 8, 2008

Woulda, Shoulda, Coulda


Well, the NCAA March madness is over. The Kansas JayHawks won it all last night by defeating Memphis in the final game of the season. It was a barnburner. Tonight the ladies will tip off and I am hopeful that the Lady Vols will win their 8th championship. It appeared that Memphis had the game in hand last night with a couple of minutes remaining. They had a small but "comfortable" lead when Kansas made some amazing plays and climbed back into it. Kansas player Mario Chalmers was able to launch a three-pointer in the closing seconds to tie the game and send it into overtime. As the self-certified NCAA armchair coach of the year and self-proclaimed expert on what should have happened - I wonder why Memphis didn't foul one of the Kansas players to prevent the three-point attempt. A few seconds later and the Memphis Tigers would be basking in the glory of the championship instead of sweating out a miserable defeat. Of course, it is easy to suggest my strategy now that the game is over and I am sitting in my office without thousands/millions of fans watching my every move. But, nobody said it was a tough job to be armchair coach of the year. Sometimes we have to make decisions in the heat of the battle. These decisions may have a profound affect on our lives and the lives of others. Doesn't make sense to ask for help from the greatest coach of all time? God knows the present and the future. As the greatest coach of all time, God is never affected by the heat of the battle. His perspective is never clouded by pressure or high stakes situations. Don't underestimate the value and power of prayer.

No comments: