About Me

My photo
Knoxville, Tennessee, United States
Hello. Thanks for stopping by. If you care to read about what's crossing my mind or sticking in my heart I welcome you to my latest post. So, I hope you enjoy my ramblings. More importantly, I hope I can encourage you to join me in my quest to be a faithful follower of my Lord Jesus Christ.

Thursday, April 24, 2008

Family Conflict

Sunday, I will continue to journey with Abraham during the morning message at Heritage. Genesis 13 shares a birds eye view of a family conflict. Abraham and Lot are relatives who have to deal with a fight among their "herdsman". It seems that the provisions of the land were not adequate to support both herds. In the words of a great western movie, the time had come for one of them to say "this town ain't big enough for the both of us". Though the issues of this conflict differ from those we encounter in family squabbles today, the principles are the same. The best resolution requires us to overcome selfishness. When the Genesis 13 conflict is resolved (with Abraham's initiative) the two men appear quite different. Lot's journey is characterized by what serves him well in the short term. Abraham's journey is characterized by his covenant relationship with God. We tend to lean one way or the other in our own conflicts. Do I want this resolved according to what "I" want? Or, do I want this resolved according to what "God" wants?

No comments: