About Me

My photo
Knoxville, Tennessee, United States
Hello. Thanks for stopping by. If you care to read about what's crossing my mind or sticking in my heart I welcome you to my latest post. So, I hope you enjoy my ramblings. More importantly, I hope I can encourage you to join me in my quest to be a faithful follower of my Lord Jesus Christ.

Friday, April 4, 2008

Settling for less

This weekend I will be sharing a message about the travels of Abraham's family. Specifically, I will take a look at how the family settled in Haran on their way to the land of Canaan. This provides an illustration of our tendency to settle for less than God's plan for our lives. The pages of the Bible are filled with examples of how men and women allowed God's plan to be interrupted. There are also positive examples from the Bible that show the blessings of determination and perseverance. Next week I have the opportunity to speak to a group of fifth graders on a school retreat. The essence of my message to them will draw from the first chapter of Daniel. Daniel is a perfect example of the importance of developing convictions and then finding the courage to live by them. Daniel refused to allow God's purpose to be sidetracked. Even in the midst of enormous pressure, he was able to say "no" and continue his journey with God rather than settling for less.

No comments: