About Me

My photo
Knoxville, Tennessee, United States
Hello. Thanks for stopping by. If you care to read about what's crossing my mind or sticking in my heart I welcome you to my latest post. So, I hope you enjoy my ramblings. More importantly, I hope I can encourage you to join me in my quest to be a faithful follower of my Lord Jesus Christ.

Wednesday, April 16, 2008

Tough time to be the pope

I was watching the news about the visit of Pope Benedict XVI to America and found it interesting that reference was made to the Pope's approval rating among Catholics (It was 70%). By the way, Pope John Paul peaked at 90% right after his death. It's a little sobering to me to think that my popularity might rise after I die. The fact that the Pope's approval rating is monitored and reported is a commentary on the relationship of politics and leadership. Isn't it amazing how one of the most visible religious leaders in the world is subject to analysis by "opinion polls"? The pressures of public opinion are not new. The Apostle Paul reminded the early followers of Christ that it is a choice that confronted him, "Do I seek to please men?" (Galatians 1:10). We may never lead with the visiblity of the Pope, however we confront "approval ratings" every day. Ultimately, discerning God's approval is primary.

1 comment:

Brandi said...

But I'm sure there are so many out there who think that he's the best pope in the history of popes. As there are those in your congregation who will approve a teaching today and not approve one tomorrow, there are still those who think you are the best (or at least one of the best) teachers they have ever encountered. I am among the latter, and I'm sure that when God looks down at your life and the way you teach his people, he looks with approval. I'm sure you're not perfect, I'm sure you mess up a lot as we all do, but Paul, you truly are a Godly man and a great teacher. You talked about spiritual children a few weeks back (or last week?), and all I could think was that you have been quite a spiritual dad to me.

By the way, that email's coming tomorrow, I suppose.