About Me

My photo
Knoxville, Tennessee, United States
Hello. Thanks for stopping by. If you care to read about what's crossing my mind or sticking in my heart I welcome you to my latest post. So, I hope you enjoy my ramblings. More importantly, I hope I can encourage you to join me in my quest to be a faithful follower of my Lord Jesus Christ.

Thursday, April 17, 2008

Speaking the language

I have been blessed to travel to several countries where I did not speak the native language. Each time I have put forth some effort to learn the obligatory words that you must learn to disguise the fact that you are a "tourist". After all, nothing helps you blend into the local culture of Moscow quite like a big Russian "Howdy" with a thick East Tennessee accent. Seriously, it's not a matter blending in. It's a combination of desiring to communicate words and the desire to bridge the language gap enough to connect with people. I am keenly aware of the importance of "connecting" this weekend. I am looking forward to speaking to a group of teens on our church retreat. When I peer into the youth culture today, I realize that effective communication cannot be a casual assumption. My words are important, but it doesn't end with words. I want to connect with them and communicate just how priceless my experience with God is to me. Youth today see with different eyes and they hear with different ears. They talk with their fingers as "texting" fills the airways. They network with hundreds and sometimes thousands of people they refer to as "friends" through online vehicles. Yet, for many of them, connecting with a God who traveled a great distance to call us "friends" is foreign.

2 comments:

Tom Rosson said...

Trust me, a New Yorker "howya doin'" doesn't fit in Moscow, either.

Lots of fun chillin' with the youth.

Paul Metler, Ph.D. said...

Tom,
You know you're my hero - how many people can travel Europe work in Russia and read and interpret East Tennesee Hillbilly? You are a rare breed indeed.