About Me

My photo
Knoxville, Tennessee, United States
Hello. Thanks for stopping by. If you care to read about what's crossing my mind or sticking in my heart I welcome you to my latest post. So, I hope you enjoy my ramblings. More importantly, I hope I can encourage you to join me in my quest to be a faithful follower of my Lord Jesus Christ.

Thursday, April 3, 2008

Time travel

Speaking of the journey of life, have you ever noticed a strange phenomenon when traveling: traveling the same distance can pass very quickly or very slowly. For example, even if I drive the same speed it seems to take me longer to get home from the church office than it does to get there. Also, there are certain stretches of highway where time stands still. A few years ago, I commuted from Knoxville to Nashville once a week. The first 80-100 miles went just fine and then just on the other side of Cookeville - bam - the twilight zone. It took forever to get there. The Christian life seems to present the same challenges. I have laughed about our tendency to ask God "are we there yet?". But, it's true. There are stretches on the highway of life where we seem to get bogged down. Sometimes it is our own doing. Sometimes other things factor into the picture. That's why I hate to travel alone. The time always passes better with someone with me. Jesus' description of the Holy Spirit as a "comforter", a "counselor" is reassuring.

No comments: