About Me

My photo
Knoxville, Tennessee, United States
Hello. Thanks for stopping by. If you care to read about what's crossing my mind or sticking in my heart I welcome you to my latest post. So, I hope you enjoy my ramblings. More importantly, I hope I can encourage you to join me in my quest to be a faithful follower of my Lord Jesus Christ.

Monday, October 22, 2007

Trust

Brennan Manning is one of my favorite writers. His book on "ruthless trust" has been out a few years. But, it's a good one. Here is Manning's assessment of trust:
Let's say I interviewed ten people, asking each the same question - "Do you trust God?" - and each answered, "Yes, I trust God," but nine of the ten actually did not trust him. How would I find out which one of the ragamuffins were telling the truth? I would video tape each of the ten lives for a month and then, after watching the video, pass judgment using this criterion: the person with an abiding spirit of gratitude is the one who trusts God. The foremost quality of a trusting disciple is gratefulness. Gratitude arises from the lived perception, evaluation, and acceptance of all of life as grace - an undeserved and unearned gift from the Father's hand.

2 comments:

Lucas Lloyd said...

I like this one a lot. It's so true. Blessedness is not found primarily in a person's circumstances. It's in a person's spirit.

Anonymous said...

I was taught a while back that "Your source affects your knowledge. Your knowledge affects your thinking. Your thinking affects your beliefs. Your beliefs affects your actions. And your actions say who or whose you are."

Actions over a period of time do seem to prove a person out like what you said about video taping someone over a period of a month.

God's grace.....the most wonderful source along with His Spirit and Word. How much better I could prove that out in my life! Seeking more ways to do just that. We really will not know the true measure until we go home to be with Him will we?