About Me

My photo
Knoxville, Tennessee, United States
Hello. Thanks for stopping by. If you care to read about what's crossing my mind or sticking in my heart I welcome you to my latest post. So, I hope you enjoy my ramblings. More importantly, I hope I can encourage you to join me in my quest to be a faithful follower of my Lord Jesus Christ.

Thursday, October 11, 2007

Fire the coach

I heard an interesting call on one of the sports talk radio shows this morning. It was a call from a listener who had recently traveled through several southern states. He listened to sports call-in shows in several of the major markets throughout the south. He said that there was a common theme on all of the shows. Each area was dominated by calls for the local sports coach to be fired. Even though I question some of the coaching performances around the region, I don't believe that it is possible that every coach of every team in the south is doing a lousy job (For example LSU is undefeated and ranked #1). But, there is a growing tendency among fans to call for a change in coaching frequently (and loudly). I see the same tendency among followers of Christ. Rather than examine our own behaviors we would rather "fire" the coach. Of course, we can't really fire God. But, we can reject His lordship in a variety of ways. We can refuse to listen to His coaching. We can refuse to acknowledge all of the "good calls" that He has made in the past. After all, His win-loss record is pretty strong.

No comments: