About Me

My photo
Knoxville, Tennessee, United States
Hello. Thanks for stopping by. If you care to read about what's crossing my mind or sticking in my heart I welcome you to my latest post. So, I hope you enjoy my ramblings. More importantly, I hope I can encourage you to join me in my quest to be a faithful follower of my Lord Jesus Christ.

Thursday, August 28, 2008

Love requires an open heart

Deuteronomy 6:4-6
Hear, O Israel! The LORD is our God, the LORD is one! You shall love the LORD your God with all your heart and with all your soul and with all your might. These words, which I am commanding you today, shall be on your heart.


A disciple asks the rabbi, “Why does the Torah tell us to ‘place these words upon your hearts’? Why does it not tell us to place these holy words in our hearts?”

The rabbi answers, “It is because as we are, our hearts are closed, and we cannot place the holy words in our hearts. So we place them on top of our hearts. And there they stay until one day, the heart breaks and the words fall in.”

3 comments:

Brandi said...

Well that's just pretty, LOL! I like it...

You suppose that's why my grandparents seem to be so much wiser than I? Perhaps though my heart has been broken many times, and filled with much rubble that has fallen through the cracks, they are so much more full of life than I - even in their age.

Paul Metler, Ph.D. said...

Yes, sounds like your grandparents have discovered that brokenness can lead to a richer life. But, you point out the dilemna - it's easy to allow brokenness to lead in other directions as well. The old saying is...it can make us "better" or "bitter".

Brandi said...

Well, I'm hoping for "better", LOL! I've seen both extremes in my family, and the effects on other people. I'd definitely prefer "better" over "bitter" and I think so far I've got it down. I try to learn something from everything that comes my way, you know?