About Me

My photo
Knoxville, Tennessee, United States
Hello. Thanks for stopping by. If you care to read about what's crossing my mind or sticking in my heart I welcome you to my latest post. So, I hope you enjoy my ramblings. More importantly, I hope I can encourage you to join me in my quest to be a faithful follower of my Lord Jesus Christ.

Wednesday, August 6, 2008

Grace Story

Since I confessed that my view of grace is one of the greatest lessons God has taught me, I should give some examples from life of what I mean. To be sure, they are more profound to me than they will be to you. But, I will share a few stories in my next few blogs. Grace can be described in all kinds of ways. I can wax theological and spout Greek and quote all kinds of folks who are smarter than me. I would rather attempt to paint a simple picture of when grace was so real that I was captured by God's love. After living in Arizona for about 3 years Lynn and I discovered that we were going to have a baby. We were overwhelmed with joy and excitement. In the first few weeks we lived a constant "high" of anticipation. Our "high" was interrupted by a visit to the doctor and an ultrasound that revealed some concerns. Within a short time our concerns were realized and Lynn suffered a miscarriage. The best description for me is that of a roller coaster. After you climb the hill to the highest point, you plunge to the deepest valley and it all happens so rapidly. Even though a decade has passed, the plunge is still very real to me. Lynn and I were 2000 miles away from our family and we were hurting. On Wednesday night after the miscarriage Lynn was home resting and I went to our Bible study. I really didn't want to be there. I really didn't want to have to share the news. We hadn't told anyone at the church what had happened. When I walked through the door, Cecil Bledsoe met me in the small sanctuary where a few people had begun to gather. (Brother Bledsoe was a retired pastor in his eighties who was one of the first people I met when I started the church). When Cecil approached me he quickly discerned that something was wrong and put his arm around me and asked the others around to pray for Lynn and me. Cecil Bledsoe's arm was the arm of God comforting me. The small group of people at the Bible study became the comfort of God for us. The comfort that God delivered to both of us in the next few hours is hard to describe. The pain did not disappear, but we had a clear sense that whatever help we needed to make it through our pain would be provided. That day God helped define grace for me. Grace does not erase our pain. Grace does not change our past. Grace does not guarantee the absence of difficulty tomorrow, not by a long shot. My simple understanding of grace is that God will provide what I need to get through. The 23rd Psalm says that when we are in the "valley of the shadow of death", God will be there too. Grace always exists in a contrast. When Grace is present, there are always shadows. There is always a backdrop of death. For example, the Bible verse most often quoted about God's grace states that it is "by grace you are saved". Our need for salvation is a reminder that God finds us in critical need of rescue from a dire situation. But, grace is enough.

1 comment:

Brandi said...

I, too, have been through that, and felt the hurt of knowing the child you were so excited about was suddenly gone. I was eighteen when I had my miscarriage, and not yet saved by His grace ...

But now I am comforted in knowing that though I wasn't yet saved, my child was an innocent, and I harbor the hope that I will someday get to meet the baby I never got to hold.

I hope, also, that you and Lynn are able to receive that same joy. I know that you have your second child, you have Nicholas just as I have my daughter ... but there will always be that longing for the baby that would have been, right?

Fortunately for us, there is God's grace, and that gives us comfort and hope for a future in Him, a future where all our loved ones will be present.