About Me

My photo
Knoxville, Tennessee, United States
Hello. Thanks for stopping by. If you care to read about what's crossing my mind or sticking in my heart I welcome you to my latest post. So, I hope you enjoy my ramblings. More importantly, I hope I can encourage you to join me in my quest to be a faithful follower of my Lord Jesus Christ.

Tuesday, August 12, 2008

Overcoming Doubt

I have been sharing portions of "my story" in my blogs lately. My reflections on my life journey remind me of how God has helped me navigate through times of uncertainty. doubt usually grows in uncertain soil. Most often I have doubted my own ability to "get it right". This was especially true when it came to the big questions: career, vocation, calling. When I was younger, I wrestled with learning to discern God's direction. And there were some painful wrestling matches in my mind. I wanted to follow God, but I doubted whether or not I knew where He was going. Looking back, I realize the give and take of doubt and trust. Many times I wanted to know God's plan without having to grow in my trust of God's character and provision. Even though I don't pretend to have completely eradicated doubt from my life now, I have learned to cultivate my trust in God. For example, I have found it very useful to battle doubt in the following way. When I catch myself doubting, I turn my focus toward a few things that I know with certainty. I know God loves me. He always has, He always will. I know God's grace is provided for me. I know God will not cease to work "on me", "in me" and "through" me - even though I am not perfect.

No comments: