About Me

My photo
Knoxville, Tennessee, United States
Hello. Thanks for stopping by. If you care to read about what's crossing my mind or sticking in my heart I welcome you to my latest post. So, I hope you enjoy my ramblings. More importantly, I hope I can encourage you to join me in my quest to be a faithful follower of my Lord Jesus Christ.

Thursday, August 7, 2008

I am not legend

Sorry bout the length of the last blog. At least I never said I was going to make a long story short. Today, I will share another aspect of my story. It reminds me of the trend in movie making to try to build you up for a particular ending and then throw you a curve. They take great pride in the number of people who walk out of the theater with that "never saw that coming" look. Some movies/shows even have several endings that they film and then choose which one to throw out for public consumption. After the fact, they give you the other endings and let you know that it could have gone a different way. Some of the greatest moments in my life have been like that. As a result, I have learned that when fears about the future creep into my mind I am usually wasting time on things that will not materialize in the way that I think they will. Also, it seems that God has "methodically" taught me to trust that I am not very good at knowing what tomorrow will look and feel like. At the risk of sounding as though my faith is puny, God always winds up being bigger than I thought He was. I know that sounds incredulous, but it is true. Finally, I wish I had a dime for every time I have heard someone say that the world is shrinking. It's a popular phrase that aptly describes advances that allow us to travel physically and electronically with remarkable ease. That's a good thing. However, along with the shrinking world, I believe our belief in God has been shrinking. We have attempted to understand, limit, control God in ways that are impossible unless we shrink Him into a God made in our image. Big mistake.

No comments: