About Me

My photo
Knoxville, Tennessee, United States
Hello. Thanks for stopping by. If you care to read about what's crossing my mind or sticking in my heart I welcome you to my latest post. So, I hope you enjoy my ramblings. More importantly, I hope I can encourage you to join me in my quest to be a faithful follower of my Lord Jesus Christ.

Saturday, November 3, 2007

Hymn Stories

I am looking forward to the morning service at Heritage tomorrow. It will be a presentation by Word Players of "Hymn Stories". I never cease to be amazed at the power of music. God has given us such a gift in the way He speaks to our hearts through music. Songs remind us of God's love. They also awaken deep emotions. They remind us of people and places and events. For example, every time I hear the hymn "Blessed Assurance" I think of a precious lady that was a great encourager to me in my early days of ministry. She told me how that song helped her through lonely times after her husband died. Every time I hear "Tis so sweet to trust in Jesus" I think about a friend who was tragically killed in a car accident when he was only 19 years old. I sang that song at his funeral while I choked back the tears. I had played basketball with my friend just a couple of days prior to his death. Those are times when "trust" is refined and grows strong.

1 comment:

Kristin said...

I so agree. I love cont. praise music. But when we sang Amazing Grace last week, the verse Was Blind But Now I SEE, brought me to tears. Almost one year ago my son was BLIND from an auto accident, with no change of recovery.
Dr.'s Rx = BLIND
God's Rx = 40/40 vision!

How Great is Our God sing with me!!!!!!! How Great is Our God.

1st time visitor to your church,
Kristin Vella