About Me

My photo
Knoxville, Tennessee, United States
Hello. Thanks for stopping by. If you care to read about what's crossing my mind or sticking in my heart I welcome you to my latest post. So, I hope you enjoy my ramblings. More importantly, I hope I can encourage you to join me in my quest to be a faithful follower of my Lord Jesus Christ.

Thursday, October 29, 2009

Thoughts about Christian Leadership

It is not enough for (Christian leaders) of the future to be moral people, well trained, eager to help their fellow humans, and able to respond creatively to the burning issues of their time...it is not the heart of Christian leadership. The central question is, Are the leaders of the future truly men and women of God, people with an ardent desire to dwell in God’s presence, to listen to God’s voice, to look at God’s beauty, to touch God’s incarnate Word and to taste fully God’s infinite goodness?
Henri Nouwen, In the Name of Jesus: Reflections on Christian Leadership

Nouwen doesn't mince words when it comes to leadership. When we think of leadership, it is so tempting to lose focus on the heart. The heart of a leader is broken, redeemed, shaped, transformed and kept in the presence of God. It is in the presence of God that we learn to see what God wants us to see. It is there that we receive our direction. In the presence of God, we dare not attempt to impress with the things that do not matter.

No comments: