About Me

My photo
Knoxville, Tennessee, United States
Hello. Thanks for stopping by. If you care to read about what's crossing my mind or sticking in my heart I welcome you to my latest post. So, I hope you enjoy my ramblings. More importantly, I hope I can encourage you to join me in my quest to be a faithful follower of my Lord Jesus Christ.

Tuesday, October 20, 2009

Sanctuary

Last Sunday I shared a challenge to do some "fasting". Although fasting usually involves giving up food, the principle applies very well to other things in our lives. The goal in fasting is to attack selfishness that can gain strength so easily in our lives. It is a way to get our selfishness out of the way and yield ourselves to God. When we do so we can discover a purer perspective on "strength" and "weakness". Paul's words begin to make sense. God's power is made perfect in our weakness. So, give up some food. Give up some TV. Give up something in an effort to deny your own desires. That's the first step. But, the second step is more important. Focus on God. Enter into the sanctuary - the presence of God.

No comments: