About Me

My photo
Knoxville, Tennessee, United States
Hello. Thanks for stopping by. If you care to read about what's crossing my mind or sticking in my heart I welcome you to my latest post. So, I hope you enjoy my ramblings. More importantly, I hope I can encourage you to join me in my quest to be a faithful follower of my Lord Jesus Christ.

Thursday, October 8, 2009

Together

Last night I was at the church prior to meeting with the men's group. Typically, on Wednesdays I stay at the church until time for our meeting. Lynn and Nick came to the church just before I left for my meeting. Lynn came by the office to say hello and Nick went straight to the Youth room. Before I left I went by to see Nick. I went because I missed seeing him. I hadn't talked to him all day, nor had I seen him since I left for the gym before he got up for school. After seeing him, I thought a lot about how much I love my son. I love to be with him and I miss him when we are not together. In that moment I thought of God's perspective. I cannot begin to understand how God "feels", but I know He loves me as His own. Though it shouldn't be - it's hard for me to think that the God of all creation "wants" to be with me. Yet, I know He does. Many scholars have taken the beautiful language of the Song of Solomon to be a picture of God's love for His own. Without a doubt, it is the language of love. At one point the desire is described in these terms: "I am my beloved's. And His desire is for me" (7:10). As I think about His love for me, I begin to realize that when I do not cherish the presence of God it goes against God's desire to be with me.

No comments: