About Me

My photo
Knoxville, Tennessee, United States
Hello. Thanks for stopping by. If you care to read about what's crossing my mind or sticking in my heart I welcome you to my latest post. So, I hope you enjoy my ramblings. More importantly, I hope I can encourage you to join me in my quest to be a faithful follower of my Lord Jesus Christ.

Wednesday, October 21, 2009

Open Tryouts


I have been thinking about our response to God's call lately. The past few weeks I have been digging into Scriptures that reveal the "heart and soul" of Christian leadership. Because I believe that every person is called (personally) by God to serve Him, our response is a critical part of life. Sometimes we struggle to understand the personal nature of God's calling. Last night Nick tried out for his Middle School basketball team. After I watched the boys go through the drills and competition necessary to put the team together, I thought about how we mistakenly treat God's call the same way. We think we are called based upon the number of shots we take and make. We think it comes down to speed or agility. We think it comes down to whether or not we impress the coach with our skills. We think, in order to be on God's team, we have to shine. Nothing could be further from the truth. God made each of us so that we can live out our role on His team. God delights in writing our name on His roster. We need not show up at a tryout. We only need to say yes to the invitation. We don't have to prove our worthiness. (We could never do that). We need only to give Him our heart and begin to follow His lead. It's not a tryout at all. It's an honor. By the way, Nick made the team. So have you.

No comments: