About Me

My photo
Knoxville, Tennessee, United States
Hello. Thanks for stopping by. If you care to read about what's crossing my mind or sticking in my heart I welcome you to my latest post. So, I hope you enjoy my ramblings. More importantly, I hope I can encourage you to join me in my quest to be a faithful follower of my Lord Jesus Christ.

Tuesday, November 3, 2009

Silence Speaks

I mentioned in an earlier blog that I have chosen to leave the radio off (no sports talk radio) in the car in an effort to spend more quiet time with the Lord. The value of silence is amazing and frightening. Speaking of the value of this "spiritual discipline", Dallas Willard writes that silence cuts us off from this world and "leaves only us and God". Willard points out the frightening aspects of silence with a question and an observation. First, he asks, "What if there turns out to be very little to just us and God?" Then Willard challenges us to think about what it says about the inward emptiness of our lives if we must always have noise. Yes, silence speaks. Silence reveals. Silence critiques the quality of our relationship with God.

No comments: