About Me

My photo
Knoxville, Tennessee, United States
Hello. Thanks for stopping by. If you care to read about what's crossing my mind or sticking in my heart I welcome you to my latest post. So, I hope you enjoy my ramblings. More importantly, I hope I can encourage you to join me in my quest to be a faithful follower of my Lord Jesus Christ.

Thursday, November 5, 2009

Heart and Soul Part One: Leaders Need God

For the past few weeks I have been exploring the "heart and soul" of Christian Leadership on Sunday mornings. For the next few posts I want to reflect on the main points. My goal in sharing these messages with the church has been to develop a keener sense of how we view leadership within the local church body. It is far too easy to fall prey to leadership models that do not reflect Christ. We live in a time when it is commonplace to justify the "means" of achievement, by "results". This has not been an easy 1-2-3 leadership recipe. Honestly, that has not been my goal. Instead, I want to continually increase my accountability to the One who matters most. The initial challenge helped me articulate my first mark of leadership: Leaders know they need God. Too many leadership models encourage a path toward greatness that resembles a climb up a ladder of ego and selfish-ambition rather than a humble journey that is utterly dependent upon God's providence and provision. The need for God never ends. Our need for God never diminishes. We need God to shape us despite the temptations that success brings. We need God to sustain through the challenges that failure delivers. Leaders know they need God and they never hide their need for God.

No comments: