About Me

My photo
Knoxville, Tennessee, United States
Hello. Thanks for stopping by. If you care to read about what's crossing my mind or sticking in my heart I welcome you to my latest post. So, I hope you enjoy my ramblings. More importantly, I hope I can encourage you to join me in my quest to be a faithful follower of my Lord Jesus Christ.

Friday, November 13, 2009

Heart and Soul of Leadership: Part Three

So far I have suggested that Christian leaders know they need God's help and Christian leaders want to be with God. There is a deeper issue. It has to do with whether or not our hearts are given to God for His purposes. By definition, the life of a Christian (with or without the descriptor of "leader") is to be an expression of Christ. In the words of Dallas Willard:

"Spiritual formation in the tradition of Jesus Christ is the process of transformation of the inmost dimension of the human being, the heart, which is the same as the spirit or will. It is being formed (really, transformed) in such a way that its natural expression comes to be the deeds of Christ done in the power of Christ."

Although it is important to be guided by core values and critical goals, the real measure of whether or not leadership is "Christian" or not is whether or leadership expresses Christ in the power of Christ. The "north star" of Christian leadership is much more personal than values or goals. The Christian heart is redeemed, transformed and surrendered to God. That reality permeates every aspect of life for the Christian leader. I'll summarize my third mark of Christian leadership this way: Christian leaders follow God not their own selfish heart.

No comments: