About Me

My photo
Knoxville, Tennessee, United States
Hello. Thanks for stopping by. If you care to read about what's crossing my mind or sticking in my heart I welcome you to my latest post. So, I hope you enjoy my ramblings. More importantly, I hope I can encourage you to join me in my quest to be a faithful follower of my Lord Jesus Christ.

Monday, November 23, 2009

Heart and Soul of Leadership: Part Five

Christian leadership requires endurance. The Gospel according to Mark includes a parable of soils as told by Jesus. Jesus described what happened to seed that fell on different types of soil. Some of the seed fell on "stony ground" (Mark 4:16-17). The initial burst of growth was not an accurate indicator of future life. It was short-lived because the plant lacked roots. The plant lacked the capacity to endure. Is it possible to develop endurance? I believe it is. The plants in Jesus' parable lacked roots. To me, our root system symbolizes our sustained thirst for God. Our endurance increases when we seek God and acknowledge our dependence upon God for strength. Endurance is more than strength to carry on. Endurance is enriched with the presence of God. When John was exiled on the isle of Patmos, he greeted his brother and sisters in the churches with a reference about endurance (Revelation 1:9). But John recognized that his endurance was attached to Jesus.

No comments: