About Me

My photo
Knoxville, Tennessee, United States
Hello. Thanks for stopping by. If you care to read about what's crossing my mind or sticking in my heart I welcome you to my latest post. So, I hope you enjoy my ramblings. More importantly, I hope I can encourage you to join me in my quest to be a faithful follower of my Lord Jesus Christ.

Friday, October 3, 2008

Bailout

My blog is not dedicated to politics and today is not a day that I will change that. But, the prominence of political issues in the media today provides a good opportunity to share some of my views about my role as a pastor. There are many different views about what role a pastor should play as it relates to political issues. I choose not to spend much time talking about what others are doing. Yet, I do want to be aware of our surroundings and redirect our attention to our Creator. What should be my role as pastor? I trust the Lord's wisdom in using the metaphorical designation of "shepherd" to describe the type of leadership that I am invited to provide. A shepherd must be aware of the environment and sensitive to threats and opportunities. For example, the current economic crisis reveals some serious threats that should be exposed. If we continue to be a culture that dresses up "greed" and calls it "ambition" then we will reap more and more destruction. It also provides some opportunities. I happen to like a term that is often applied to the stock market. The word is "correction". Imagine that! The stock market "corrects" and most of the time we do not. Our opportunity is for "corrected" thinking. Just as "greed" has become fashionable in the world, "contentment" has been lost in the church. Do we "hunger and thirst" for righteousness - because if we do, God has promised to fill us. Thus, our contentment would rest in God's provision. Contentment remains out of reach as long as it is dependent upon our own achievements and pursuits. I fear we have developed a "hunger and thirst" for things other than God. Whether or not the "bailout" plan passes today or not, challenging times lie ahead. Whether McCain or Obama is elected, our faith will be tested severely. Every crisis is an opportunity for God to bring about transformation. We must examine our thoughts and allow God to renew our minds.

No comments: