About Me

My photo
Knoxville, Tennessee, United States
Hello. Thanks for stopping by. If you care to read about what's crossing my mind or sticking in my heart I welcome you to my latest post. So, I hope you enjoy my ramblings. More importantly, I hope I can encourage you to join me in my quest to be a faithful follower of my Lord Jesus Christ.

Monday, September 29, 2008

Good Question

Why? That's a common question. Sometimes it's good and healthy to ask, sometimes a real waste of time and energy. What about with regard to a choice to sin? Why sin? I was reading in Jeremiah 2 today. God asks the question in a different manner. It's a sinful time for God's people. That's usually a signal in the Old Testament for a prophet to step up and raise some important questions. The question that caught my eye in Jeremiah comes directly from God. God is speaking to his people through the metaphor of a romantic relationship. He is reflecting on the past. The tone mixes several ingredients: brokenheartedness, heartsickness and anger. God's question cuts through all the emotions. God asks a deeper question than "Why?". Israel has turned away from God and chosen to worship other gods (God points out the fact that these gods are not really gods). Here's God's question: "What fault did your father's find in me?". Great question. It's a little different approach to sin. God doesn't ask about the attractiveness of sin. God asks "What do I lack?" Of course, it is a rhetorical question. God lacks nothing. His love for us is unfailing and immeasurable. Yet, they turned away from God and turned toward ridiculous substitutes. Now it's time to ask the question "Why?".

No comments: