About Me

My photo
Knoxville, Tennessee, United States
Hello. Thanks for stopping by. If you care to read about what's crossing my mind or sticking in my heart I welcome you to my latest post. So, I hope you enjoy my ramblings. More importantly, I hope I can encourage you to join me in my quest to be a faithful follower of my Lord Jesus Christ.

Thursday, September 18, 2008

Big Orange Country

This Saturday is a signficant day in Big Orange country. Tennessee plays Florida. Usually it's a game that sets the tone for Tennessee's season. Unfortunately, the tone was set with an early loss to UCLA. So now the Vols have an opportunity to do what UCLA did to them: beat a team that few expect them to beat. Although my faith in victory is slightly smaller than that of a mustard seed, it is interesting to consider the psychological benefit of being an underdog. Sometimes commentators refer to the expected winner as the team that "has everything to lose and nothing to gain". Consequently, the expected loser is the team that "has everything to gain and nothing to lose". Interestingly, last night at our men's group we constrasted "worldliness" and "Christ-likeness". When I think about what the world offers me compared to what Christ brings to my life, I have everything to gain in Christ and nothing to lose by turning to "worldliness". Go Vols.

No comments: