About Me

My photo
Knoxville, Tennessee, United States
Hello. Thanks for stopping by. If you care to read about what's crossing my mind or sticking in my heart I welcome you to my latest post. So, I hope you enjoy my ramblings. More importantly, I hope I can encourage you to join me in my quest to be a faithful follower of my Lord Jesus Christ.

Monday, January 7, 2008

What difference does it make?

One of my favorite writers on the subject of spiritual discipline is Richard Foster. He has a way of communicating the impact of our devotional life in the day to day. It is appropriate to ask questions like "What difference will this make?" as we begin the New Year. It is a stewardship question. Is this activity or practice a wise investment of my time and energy? What about worship? Why worship? What difference should worship make? Consider Foster's words:

As worship begins in holy expectancy, it ends in holy obedience. Holy obedience saves worship from becoming an opiate, an escape from the pressing needs of modern life"

Ours is a culture that can become addicted to "experience"...even the worship experience, rather than the God we worship. Foster presses us to consider "Holy obedience" as a natural outgrowth of worship.

No comments: